Voting is now closed for our 2020 Coolest Thing Made in Idaho Contest!
Thank you so much for your interest in the inaugural Coolest Thing Made in Idaho 2020 contest. Congratulations to our list of over 100 nominees that you can view here. Our next Coolest Thing Made in Idaho contest will be hosted in 2021, so stay tuned for next year’s competition. Congratulations to all of our finalists and check out the Coolest Thing Made in Idaho 2020 winner:
1st Place: Sawtooth by Black Sage
Sawtooth by Black Sage: Black Sage provides anti-drone systems to military organizations, internal security agencies and airport authorities worldwide. We were established in Boise, Idaho in 2014. Here are some cool things about our team, our company and our products.
Detecting, identifying and defeating drones is cutting edge and cool. Our unmatched product innovation is cool. Protecting US military personnel is cool. Defending the airspace of some of the largest airports worldwide is cool. Providing security for leading intelligence agencies around the globe is cool. Working with the Air Force Research Laboratory and The Pentagon is cool. Our company name with roots in the Western United States is cool. Naming our anti-drone system after the Sawtooth Mountains is cool. Our office next to the Boise River is cool. The fact we beat competition from around the world is cool. Hosting visitors from around the world and showcasing Boise and the State of Idaho is cool. We love Idaho!
Guardian Wave by PedSafety at Campbell Company: What’s cooler than stopping the spread of COVID-19? That’s right, NOTHING! The Guardian Wave is the newest Accessible Pedestrian Signal (“Wait”, buttons as many refer to them) from Campbell Company, and allows a pedestrian to safely cross at an intersection with the wave of a hand! When looking at the Guardian Wave it may be hard to tell that it is different from the traditional crosswalk buttons you use, and that’s part of what makes it so cool! Yes, there are other “cool” products made in Idaho but do they literally work in the coolest of weather? The Guardian Wave works when frozen and all the way at the very cool temperature of -40 Celsius, that’s the cool way of saying -40 Fahrenheit. Stop touching the same buttons as everyone else, instead, do a cool wave in front of the button and be amazed that your call has been placed.
Side Puller by In The Ditch Towing Company: The Side Puller is made In mountain Home Idaho. You can add to a Carrier or Wrecker Tow truck to handle any job small or large. The side Puller has multiple sizes for any Tow Truck and helps towers get the job done faster and get off the side of the road even quicker.
We're looking for the Coolest Thing Made in Idaho - and we need your help!
Idaho’s Manufacturing Month is the perfect time to be celebrating local production. Idaho Commerce reports that manufacturers make up 6% of the state’s total workforce and $7.3 billion of the state’s GDP – producing items in a variety of sectors such as food, electronics, transportation, medical equipment, machining, and more. For every dollar spent in manufacturing – $1.37 is put back into the US Economy. Manufacturers are looking to recruit the next generation of workers. In Idaho, manufacturing jobs pay about 40% higher than other industries, at an average of $78,120 per year. Based on those benefits and the predicted growth, manufacturers provide an abundance of opportunities to potential employees.
We want to hear from YOU about what you think the Coolest Thing Made in Idaho is. While 2020 hasn’t been the year of our dreams, we still want to celebrate Manufacturing Month by hosting the first ever Coolest Thing Made in Idaho Contest. Idaho creates products that residents actually use – and users know when they’ve found a top of the line product – nominations and voting have ended for this year’s contest, so check back next year for The Coolest Thing Made in Idaho 2021.
Here are the Rules:
- Nomination is open to the public. All individuals are encouraged to submit their favorite product. There is no limit to the number of products each person may nominate and you may nominate your own product.
- Any item manufactured in Idaho is eligible for the contest. Company headquarters do not have to be located in Idaho.
- This contest is not grouped into product categories. Every product competes against all other submissions, regardless of manufacturing sector.
- If a nomination does not meet the above criteria, it will not be entered into the contest. Due to time constraints, we are not always able to notify nominators of these circumstances. If you fail to see your product on the official ballot and believe it meets the criteria, you may reach out to staff here.
- All companies that receive an eligible nomination will be notified by the Idaho Manufacturing Alliance
- Nominations will be considered from 10/1/2020 – 10/15/2020
- A voter may vote once per day.
- Nominated products will advance through multiple rounds of voting, with the products receiving the highest votes in each round moving to subsequent rounds.
- The number of votes received will be reset at the beginning of each round.
- Voting will occur between 10/21-10/28 with the winners announced on 10/30.
The company that manufactures the winning product will receive:
- The Coolest Thing Made in Idaho trophy
- Coordinated media outreach promoting your win
- An company feature article published on our family of websites (swima.org, idmfg.org, madehereidaho.org), LinkedIn page and partner sites
- Free year of IMA membership (or membership credit for renewals)
- Free booth at our next Made Here! Expo & Job Fair
- 4 Free VIP Reception tickets
- Bragging rights until October 2021!